Dear Member, Welcome to a new year of tennis!
This season promises to be a great year of tennis based on the excellent response over the winter to our mixed doubles competition with the final scheduled to coincide with our Wimbledon ballot draw on 7th May. GB’s recent Davis Cup triumph may also prove to be a source of inspiration and encouragement to play more.
The committee is offering plenty of new opportunities to play extended social tennis (see below), to enter competitions regardless of playing standard and full access to our Club coach, Michelle Collins who has been appointed as a Davis Cup legacy coach by the LTA – full details can be found on our website.
Highlights of the year ahead
• The Wimbledon ballot draw, winter mixed doubles final and American tournament 7th May
• More opportunity to play social tennis – see below and our website for details
• American tournaments (including trophies), 5th June, 16th July, 7th August and 9th October
• The Club tournament finals’ day, 17th September (18th if wet) including refreshments and raffle
• AGM in November
• A repeat of our hugely popular quiz night with supper in January
In order to maintain a great playing surface the courts were treated for moss in October and further preventative maintenance is planned over the next 12 months.
The committee continues to promote the club as widely as possible including targeting the new houses being built in Broadbridge Heath. This provides a good opportunity to attract new members including young families. Our target this year is to increase membership to 80+. The AGM discussed the extended use of the Club’s Facebook page to improve opportunities for social tennis – please look out for this and sign-up if you feel able.
Quiz Night – January 2016
The Club held its second fund raising quiz night earlier this year and raised ~£250 towards improving Club facilities. The evening attracted over 60 members and their guests who enjoyed a Lasagne supper and a highly entertaining quiz set by Roger and Elaine Jowett.
Annual Subscriptions 2016/17 fees remain unchanged from 2015/16 as follows:-
- Adult -£60
- Couple - £100
- Family - £115 (to include children up to 18 years)
- Junior - £18 (up to 18 years)
- Student - £25 (18-25 years)
- Seniors – £25 (75+)
- Children and grandchildren up to 8 years – free
Membership forms are available on the website. which can be completed on-line, printed then posted to Peter Ballard at 23, Church Road, Broadbridge Heath, Horsham, RH12 3LD; or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Court bookings can be made up to 4 weeks in advance on the website subject to formal club events including Club social tennis sessions and coaching take precedence over social bookings.
Club social tennis sessions have been scheduled this season for men and ladies in addition to our traditional weekly mixed club sessions on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Men’s sessions organised by Nick Trout (07719 660640) are scheduled for 2pm on the following Saturdays:-
• April 2nd, 16th; May 21st; June 4th, 18th; July 2nd; August 6th, 20th; September 3rd; October 1st, 15th.
Ladies sessions organised by Ann Lines (07759 286434) are scheduled for every other Tuesday afternoon between 1.30 and 3.30pm are as follows:-
• April 12th, 26th; May 10th, 24th; June 7th, 21st; July 5th, 19th; August 2nd, 16th, 30th; Sept 13th, 27th.Coaching
- details of our Davis Cup legacy coach (Michelle Collins) can be found on the Club’s website for one-to-one coaching or group sessions to be arranged directly with Michelle.Wimbledon ballot
including the winter mixed doubles final, American tournament and refreshments – 7th May from 1pm; refreshments will be served mid-afternoon and the ballot will be drawn at 4:00pm by the courts or if raining in the cricket pavilion. Applications for the Wimbledon ballot will be by e-mail or alternatively where e-mail is not an option for members, directly to Ann Lines who can be contacted on 07759 286434. The deadline for applications will be mid-night 6th May.Club tournament
will commence in May providing plenty of opportunity to complete matches in time for the finals to be played over the week-end 17th/18th September. Full details including how to be part of the tournament this year are available on the Club’s website. The deadline for entries will be 14th May and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Match scores for club competitions will be posted on the website.
Finals’ weekend – all matches are scheduled to be played on Saturday 17th (weather permitting) or alternatively on the 18th.
Engraved trophies will be presented to the Club champions at the Club’s AGM in November.Parking
– It has been pointed out by local residents that parking adjacent to the courts is hazardous. With this in mind please park in the off-road parking areas on Byfleets Lane or if open, in the Cricket Club car park.
We look forward to seeing you on court; have a great season.